Diploma of Counselling
Counselling is recognised as one of the most personally enriching careers.
As a counsellor you’ll help people each and every day overcome their challenges and go on to lead happy lives. And learning to be a counsellor is an eye-opening journey of self discovery as you learn why you think and behave as you do.
Our Diploma of Counselling is accredited by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA), a peak membership body for counsellors.
You’ll be able to work in a diverse variety of mental health and community health settings, or set up your own counselling practice. You’ll be able to join as a member of the Australian Counselling Association, ensuring professional recognition of your qualification, as well as access to practice insurance.
Learn internally, online or any blend. Our programs are designed to fit around your needs. Study entirely online (anywhere) or come into our campuses in Brisbane, Sydney, Port Macquarie, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
This course is VET FEE-HELP approved. If you are an Australian citizen or a Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder, you may be eligible for a government tuition loan of up to $99,389. This allows you to start studying with no upfront costs whatsoever, and you only start repaying your loan, through your tax, once you start earning over $54,126.
The Estrada College Diploma of Counselling has attained industry accreditation through the Australian Counselling Association (ACA). ACA is a peak industry association and the largest single registration body for counsellors in Australia. As a graduate of the Estrada College Diploma of Counselling you will automatically meet the entry requirements to become a member of the Australian Counselling Association.
Our Diploma of Counselling (CHC51712) is structured around 6 Units of Study each with a duration of 12 weeks.
Course Outline (code: CHC51712)
Enrolments are accepted into this course until intake date 5 December 2016. Continuing students will be transitioned to Diploma of Counselling (CHC51015) from term starting 9 January 2017 (at no extra cost).
|Unit of Study||Unit of Competencies included in the Unit of Study|
|CDC1A||CHCCSL501A#||Work within a structured counselling process
|CHCCSL507B||Support clients in decision making processes|
|CHCCSL502A#||Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills|
|CDC2A||CHCCSL503B#||Facilitate the counselling relationship|
|CHCCSL504A||Apply personality and development theories
|CHCCSL505A||Apply learning theories in counselling|
|CHCCSL506A#||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)|
|CDC3A||CHCCSL506A#||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues (Person Centred Therapy)|
|CHCCSL506A#||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues (Gestalt Therapy)|
|CHCCSL506A#||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues (Solution Focused Therapy)|
|CHCCSL506A||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues (Narrative Therapy)|
|CDC4A||CHCCSL508B#||Apply legal and ethical responsibilities in counselling practice
|HLTWHS300A||Contribute to WHS processes|
|CHCCSL509A||Reflect and improve upon counselling skills|
|CHCCSL510A||Work effectively with relationship issues|
|CDC5A||CHCCSL506A#||Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues
|CHCCSL511A#||Provide interventions to address family issues|
|CHCCSL512A||Determine suitability of client for counselling services
|CHCCS514B||Recognise and respond to individuals at risk|
|CDC6A||CHCCM503C#||Develop, facilitate and monitor all aspects of case management|
|HLTHIR403C||Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
|CHCICS405B||Facilitate groups for individual outcomes|
Units marked with a # require the practical demonstration of skills in a real or simulated work environment. A variety of options are available to complete practical assessments including through private one-on-one or small group assessment (in person or via Skype) or submitting a video recording. Where more than one practical is included in a Unit of Study, the practicals will be grouped into one assessment session where possible.
To enter into this course you must have either a/ completed Year 12 (evidence required); OR b/ complete an Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) assessment at Exit Level 3 or above. You can access Estrada Colleges full policies and procedures here.
Fees, Dates and Policies
Estrada College is committed to providing transparent and fair policies for students. Details of relevant fees, dates and policies for this course are available here.
- All Nationally Recognised Training Programs are subject to regular industry review and modification from time to time. The information included in this Course Outline is indicative of the final curriculum but may not necessarily contain all units necessary for completion of the qualification. In the event of any changes or expansions to the course, you will have the opportunity to complete your current course, or to transition to the new course. Please refer to the Teachout of Courses policy in the Student Handbook.
- Please contact your Student Support Centre if you have any questions about the requirements to complete your course.
- You need to adhere to the due dates shown for each unit to ensure you complete your course within the appropriate timeframe. If you are having difficulty meeting the timeframes, please contact your Student Support Centre to discuss your options.
- A summary of the Employability Skills developed through this qualification can be downloaded from www.training.gov.au.
- An Assessment Book is completed for each topic and 10 practicals are completed as part of this course. Where more than one practical is included in a Unit of Study, the practicals will be grouped into one assessment session where possible.
- Progress through your course is achieved by completing each unit’s assessment book and each practical (by private one-on-one or small group assessment (in person or via Skype), or submitting a video recording). Please contact your Student Support Centre if you have any questions about the requirements to complete your course.
Ready to start?
Click below to follow our easy online application process.